First Crew - Abigail

 



Abigail Harrison - @AstronautAbby

"From the age of four, Abigail Harrison knew she wanted to go to space. At age eleven, she sat down and wrote out a plan -not just for how to become an astronaut- but how to be the first astronaut to set foot on mars. With a degree in biology, internships at NASA and a national organization founded to help kids reach for the stars themselves, Astronaut Abby is well on her way to achieving her dreams, and she wants to help others to do the same!

In her own words:

It’s a long journey to achieve the dream of becoming an astronaut. Since making it my goal to go to space and become the first astronaut to walk on Mars, I have committed myself to the growth of my career (through advanced education and work experience). I have also worked toward the development of additional skills and experience that have the potential to be valuable in improving my application to the highly competitive NASA astronaut candidate program. Here are nine accomplishments I’m especially proud of:

  1. I obtained my Bachelor’s degree from Wellesley College in biology while also studying Spanish, Russian, and Mandarin Chinese. It’s my sincere hope that being skilled in multiple languages will allow me to facilitate international cooperation in space exploration.

  2. I’ve jumped out of airplanes (with a parachute, of course!) to train my body to react to high altitudes, different G forces, and the sensation of freefall.

  3. I’ve gained advanced scuba diving certifications to prepare my body, mind, and lungs for the endurance needed to spend periods of time in low-gravity, high-pressure situations.

  4. I’ve earned a private pilot license and continue to work towards my next licensure (IR).

  5. I’ve become an avid runner and biker, with several marathons, half marathons and bike races under my belt, since physical fitness is essential to be an astronaut.

  6. I’ve conducted scientific field work in Siberia and astrobiological research with NASA.

  7. I wrote a book, Dream Big: How to Reach for Your Stars (coming out January 2021!) to help guide others on how to reach their dreams by sharing my own tools for success!

  8. I co-founded the non-profit, The Mars Generation, with my mom.The Mars Generation works to inspire and empower young people to achieve their big dreams while also educating and exciting the general public about the importance of space exploration and STEM education to the future of humankind.

  9. I’ve gained significant experience in science communication and public outreach by speaking at schools, conferences, and other venues around the world, as well as through social media.
I selected Abigail for her long term commitment to the goal, her science background, a desire to help others achieve their goals, public communications, and her field work in Siberia and with NASA.

Comments